Print
Category: OLD COLORADO CITY - People
Hits: 9222

William Henry Garvin

 

In December 1859, William Henry Garvin filed a claim on 160 acres "near the north end of the 'Gypsum Quarry'" located about two miles north of Colorado City. Garvin's 160-acre homestead was the Garden of the Gods. Besides his homestead, Garvin also managed what was believed to be the first store in Colorado City owned by Gerrish and Cobb.

Although the ratio of men to women was high in the early mining supply towns and mining camps, Fidelia Ann Maggard, the daughter of Lucy A. Maggard, saw fit to marry William Garvin on December 31, 1861, making their marriage the first recorded in Colorado City.