DR. JAMES GARVIN

Although the first records of Dr. James Garvin in Colorado City are sketchy at best, the El Paso Claim Club elected Garvin its president in August 1860. The Claim Club, a vigilante form of civil government, formed in August of 1859 for the purpose of recording real estate claims and settling land disputes. The Claim Club survived until 1862 when state laws finally provided for government replacement. 

In 1862, Dr. James Garvin returned to Colorado City from the mining camp of French Gulch either to reside permanently or to simply stay during the winter months. Nevertheless, Dr. Garvin set up his practice in the log cabin that has survived the years and is located today in Bancroft Park.